Himalaya: Listen. Learn. Grow.
The SnapRetail Podcast
The Basics of Branding
Hosted by Vince Ventura and Justin Shoup
According to Nielson’s Global New Product Innovation Survey, 59% of consumers prefer to buy new products from brands familiar to them.
You must be consistent in communication and experience, across all formats and customer interactions:
- Storefront and sinage
- Print, posters, postcards, and even packaging and bags
- Social media
- TV, Radio, and Print Ads
- Sales & customer service
Be patient and consistent. Good branding doesn’t happen overnight.
Determine your brand’s target audience.
- Check out our podcast
- Know who you are talking to specifically
- Know your audience's tastes and sensibilities
- Speak their language
- Show them WHY you exist
- Show them how you will help them
- Define a branding mission statement.
- Knowing WHY you exist isn’t enough. You must state it
- Short, sweet, to the point
- Present a clear goal that you plan to achieve or problem that you plan to solve
- A mission is not a tagline
- A mission is not a vision statement - that is the how
- A mission is not your values (but it’s close)
- A good mission should be able to be recited by any staff member
3. What is the competition doing?
- Don’t imitate Big Box Stores
- Facebook has a pages to watch tool
- Look at your competitors
- What do their customers respond to
- How can you offer a similar experience with your values and voice
- Create a logo and tagline
- Be memorable
- Takes 6 times seeing a logo to remember it
- Have a consistent logo that people will notice and remember
- Make sure it is catchy and memorable
- Just do it
- Got milk
- Write a short tag line that sums up your mission and values.
- Determine your brand voice
- How do you talk to customers
- Don’t forget to let your personality shine through!
- Up Energy
- Down Energy
- What is your brand Energy
- Let your brand connect everything that you do
- Put your logo everywhere
- Don’t deviate or change logo or colors
- Main color
- Accent 1
- Accent 2
- Have a consistent color palette
- Be your brand on paper and in print
- Be your brand in action
- Be your brand’s biggest advocate
- Be your brand!
- Plan, research, and be decisive
- Choose a Logo, Tagline, Mission, Vision, and Values
- Live your brand